It’s Group 1 Winterbottom Stakes Day at Ascot on Saturday to headline racing in WA once again. The rail is out 8m the entirety after being out 6m last week with no savage bias evident – selections are for a GOOD track – watch and monitor if possible. The first race will jump at 3:05pm (AEDT) and the last at 8:55pm.
You can find our best bets for Ascot below, as well as more free tips from around the country by heading over to our Racing Tips page.
Ascot Racing Tips: Saturday, December 2nd
Race 1: Amelia Park BM66 2100m at 3:05pm AEDT
(3) DIAMOND SCENE ($2.80) – we tipped him last week but the race was postponed due to extreme weather. He’s returned in excellent order as a new season 4YO winning all three runs this prep. He travelled sweetly first up over the mile before hitting a bit of a flat spot entering the home straight behind PENNY ON THE QUEEN but he picked the bit up and really surged late to score (loved the fight). He then went to 1800m two-back and sat OSL when he was seriously challenged by PLEASURE CRUISE down the straight but he dug deep and held them all off (strong through the line / ties in with GHOBELLA and BERNBRAE). He had the run of the race LS over 2200m and destroyed them. He does meet some key rivals a little worse at the weights for that run, but he maps to sit behind the speed from the nice gate and Pike takes over. Keen he runs well again.
(3) DIAMOND SCENE – WIN
$2.80 (3 Units)
Race 2: Schweppes BM66 1500m at 3:45pm AEDT
(9) YONGA LASS ($2.00) – she’s absolutely airborne this prep and looked very hard to beat again. Ran second to DESENNEA three-back and that horse has since won again / is a great chance later today. She went back to 1400m two-back at Class 3 level and waltzed in winning by 3.8L. We tipped her LS and it took a Willy Pike special to thread the needle and get her home. If she had clear running earlier she would have won by further. Meets key rival COUNT THE SESSIONS and STARRING KNIGHT worse at the weights but I think she has enough upside to overcome that. Has a sticky gate today but Pike sticks (elects to stay with her over another key rival LAQUETTA’S GIFT) so we’ll back him to have a plan. On the up!
(9) YONGA LASS - WIN
$2 (4 Units)
Race 7: Tabtouch Sir Ernest Lee-Steere Classic 1400m at 7:02pm AEDT
(1) INVESTMENTSTRATEGY ($5.00) – on the quick back-up after running a solid race in the WA Guineas last week beaten 2.2L by ZIPAWAY (beaten by SUPER SMINK which ties in with AUGMENT). Only goes up half a kilo at the weights but comes back in grade so he gets in pretty well this scale. Comes back to 1400m today which I think is a big positive for him and draws a low gate to lead or sit right up on speed. We saw what he did at this track/trip two-back when he won by more than a length beating ZIPAWAY et al. Looks a nice play at the price.
(8) MISS ROCKJOY ($11 / $2.90) – comes through some different form lines behind KESHI BOOM (ties in with SUPER SMINK, AUGMENT, INVESTMENTSTRATEGY etc) where she’s gone super. Two-back she ran third to KESHI BOOM and SUPER SMINK as a $101 pop after sitting 3WWC the entirety but beat the rest easily (including GENEROSITY). She then went to the mile in the G3 Champions Fillies Stakes and beat all-bar KESHI BOOM after giving her a tow into the race. She ran by GENEROSITY and beat her by about a length (even after she had the run of the race) yet meets her better at the weights for having done so. Tricky gate to overcome but she’s well over the odds (
(8) MISS ROCKJOY – E/W $11/$2.90 (0.5U/1U)
(1) INVESTMENTSTRATEGY – WIN
$5 (1.5 Units)
Race 8: Ascend Trophies Jungle Dawn Classic 1400m at 7:43pm AEDT
(7) DUCHESS OF GOSSIP ($2.50) – was luckless first-up in the key lead-up race when she had no where to go turning for home before getting clear air when it was all over to hit the line hard. Draws gate 2 today so she’ll likely be midfield or better in running, but hopefully she doesn’t find herself buried away on the fence waiting for gaps to appear. She gets a nice weight swing on AMBER GLIDE who beat her LS and has ran well second-up before. Willy Pike retains the ride and there’s been good support early markets. Major bet her way.
(6) VALENCY ($16 / $3.90) – best roughie in the race and worth a saver at the price. She also comes through the Jungle Mist behind AMBER GLIDE where she went super! She sat 3WWC the entirety and was only beaten in the last few strides (winner had the drop on her). She also gets a 1.5kg weight swing on AMBER GLIDE, draws a nice gate to have an easier run in transit, and she’s proven at 1400m. I can’t understand the discrepancy in price between her and AMBER GLIDE off their last run. OverS.
(6) VALENCY – E/W $16/$3.90 (0.5 UNITS)
(7) DUCHESS OF GOSSIP - WIN
$2.50 (4 UNITS)