Welcome to our horse racing preview and betting tips for night racing at Cranbourne on Friday, May 10th.
There's eight races on the card, with the track currently rated a Heavy 8 and the rail out 9m the entire circuit.
Check out our preview and betting tips for every race below.
Best Bet: Race 1 - (4) Flirting
Lay Of The Day: Race 5 – (4) Ryan's Fender
(4) Flirting has placed at both of her starts, she has shown good ability to jump away with them and be up on the speed throughout. She led at the Hillside track last time and was run down by Absolute Flirt, that filly has since gone to SA and won the feature juvenile race there on the weekend. There are obviously plenty of unknowns here, I would prefer to stick to what we have seen, she will jump and run and be too quick over the 100m against her own sex.
With more than half of the field set to debut, it is obviously going to be a tough race to assess. The one that has shown something at the races is (7) Irish Lilt. She was only fair resuming but showed good speed last time to kick through and lead. That was here at the track a fortnight ago, she kicked well into the straight and was only gunned down late. She was double figures that night so the SP profile doesn’t read great, but if she can carve over early and control the tempo, she will be hard to run down. Obviously respect any serious money for those on debut.
(12) Our Sunny Girl will be in the market again, she has been to the races nine times and placed at eight of them. She just doesn’t seem to know how to win, that was evidenced at Pakenham last time when she ranged up to win but was headed out wide at the furlong and failed to respond. That has proven a good form race with two horses she beat since winning, and although I think she is the most likely to win, I couldn’t back her. One that will be much better odds is (11) Mylex. She is a 24-start maiden and won’t appeal to many, but she was ok last time in a race that was dominated by the leader and those n the speed. She looks well suited to the mile, should get back and grind home in the straight. There are no stars here.
(1) Cath’s Village looks perfectly suited in the small field tonight, she has versatility but has got back in her last two races. She got very wide here two weeks ago before attacking the line hard, running on the best she got up by the narrowest of margins. Up in grade but back against the girls, this looks no harder. If she can get a spot only a couple of lengths off the lead, she will be too strong late and stepping up to the 7 furlongs looks ideal. (2) Minyinga looks the main danger, she ran a cracking race at the Bool over the carnival when trying to lead all the way. (5) Mossbelle also has good tactical speed and they may go at each other, setting it up for Cath’s Village.
The most interesting runner of the night is the former Irish galloper (1) Yulong Rising. Racing as Victory Salute in the UK, he won 1 of his 5 starts there before heading down under. He got out to two miles last time so will obviously thrive over further, be very interesting to see how he does over 7 furlongs fresh after winning a couple of trials recently. We will stick with the fit (2) Zabalan who was narrowly defeated in the Stawell Cup last start. She will get back and charge home as she has done at all three starts this prep, the small field suits and her only start on a heavy track was here where he was most unlucky and should have won the race.
(7) Houston Street was huge odds when winning here last week, but it was hard not to be impressed and the fact that he loves the sting out of the ground. He will be giving them a start and has to come up in class after that win last week, but it is hard to see him not running on hard again. There is actually not a lot of speed on paper to my eyes, but I don’t mind that as the jocks do their form and it quite often results in a few of them attacking early. Take him on trust and hoping the rain comes Thursday night and well into Friday.
(5) Upswing is an interesting runner for P Payne. HE won on debut in NZ at huge odds and was sent straight to the paddock and across the Tasman. HE was gelded and resumes here after three official trials, all here at the track. The latest was very impressive, he over-raced badly as they tried to restrain him, it looked as though he just wanted to run! HE got very wide, and although he had to be slapped up, he was very good late through the line. His maiden win was on a soft track and that latest trial he looked to get through the heavy ok, the betting will be of interest late but he should be fit enough.
(7) Sweet Snitty has been here to the track twice, placing on both occasions. He won at 64-grade three back at Pakenham when on the speed, then had no luck at the same track the next run. He had three weeks off before going to the Bool, he came very wide and ran on hard. Drawn beautifully in 4 here, he should be mid-field in the run stalking. Last start was his first go on rain affected going, he looked to handle it well so although the heavy is a concern at first look, I am prepared to go out on a limb and say he will handle it.
It's the start of a new week and the start of a new month, and we have two Eastern States race meetings to kick things off. Find Luke Krahe's best bets for Pakenham Synthetic and Dubbo below! read more
There is a great variety of action in the esports world this Sunday night and into Monday morning! We are back with another slate of best bets for all of the action here read more
There's six race meetings around Australia to close out the weekend and Luke Krahe has focused on the racing at Ballarat and Tamworth. Find his preview and best bets here! read more
Julian Vallance from Sportsbet takes us through some of the key factors which he uses with pricing upcoming horse races such as performance ratings. Check out his video from Sportsbet here. read more
Over-Round is an important concept for both punters and sportsbooks. It's how Australian sportsbooks make money! All punters should understand over-round, how to spot it, and how to find better value on the Betfair Exchange. read more
Ever wondered why you can get such great odds at Betfair in comparison to other online bookmakers? We break down why that is the case and why Betfair isn't just for professional punters here read more
Lay betting is when you’re betting against an event to occur. You’re betting that a horse won’t win a race, a team won’t win a match or your player will lose to their opponent. Find out more about lay betting at Betfair right here. read more
The AFL season is set to make its long awaited return from the COVID-19 pandemic! We have the updated and revamped schedule from Rounds 2-5 here! read more
The NRL have announced the full fixture for the remainder of the 2020 NRL season with games set to recommence on Thursday, May 28th. We have the full 2020 NRL Draw for you here. read more
The National Football League (NFL) have announced their 2020 NFL schedule with the action kicking off on September 10th. Check out the full NFL schedule here. read more
Sportsbet and BetEasy will operate under the one brand after it was reported in The Australian on Tuesday that BetEasy operations are set to close. read more