It’s another Wednesday which means we have some good midweek racing to get stuck into. Meetings at both Sandown and Randwick-Kensington highlight the day’s action.
There are some quality horses on show throughout the day and we will look to find a few winners to get you over the hump. The rain looks to be clearing in Melbourne however the Randwick meeting will be run on a very heavy track with plenty of rain once again forecast across Sydney this week.
As usual, Billy Bestford has had a look across all the meetings and has found his best bets for the day.
Today's Racing Tips: Wednesday July 20th
Sandown Race 1
(6) Proscenium Arch has looked the part at a recent Cranbourne jumpout and the stable scratched last week with this race in mind. From barrier 1 she can sit handy enough in running and expect she might have a bit of quality about her. She has seemed to handle wet tracks at her recent work so she looks a great winning chance today.
(2) Thesecondatportsea comes into this off a good maiden win and has now had three career runs, improving at each start. With the benefit of race experience I expect she can probably find the front here and might be able to progress through the grades now.
(5) Moya lass was doing her best work late in a recent jump out and gets the services of the in-form Damien Oliver who seems to be riding winners for fun at the midweeks lately. She maps well from barrier 4.
(3) Guru Ram Das will have fans with Jamie Kah taking the ride and coming into this off a jump out win on a heavy track.
(6) Proscenium Arch
$3.20 (1.5 units)
Randwick Race 3
(2) Icecrusher really deserves another win and has been racing in super consistent form without breaking through. Ran on very well last start in the wet at Canterbury and looks suited now rising up to this trip. She has form on heavy tracks and gets her chance to break through today.
(5) Awesome Choice finished behind Icecrusher last start but was only first up there. Plenty of improvement and added fitness is expected to aid her cause today. She has a strong 2nd up record and is a winner over this trip.
(7) Mystic Mermaid will broke through for a maiden win last start and now comes to town with Jmac booked for the ride. She’s still very lightly raced and probably has a bit more upside than most of these.
$3.90 (1 unit)
Sandown Race 5
(3) Fire was quickly put away following a dominant display at only run last prep, bolting in this track/trip by 4L. I’m hoping the track has dried out a touch by this time and if so, he should be taking care of these. From barrier 5 he can land OSL or even lead and should have a bit too much class. Plenty of upside still to come.
(4) Iremeberwhen can measure up here after two good wins to start his career. The Payne stable are absolutely airborne at the moment and from the low draw this horse will see every chance up near the speed. A heavy track would suit.
(5) Lord Paraamount never really got a good crack at them fresh in a very strong Saturday sprint behind Inundation and Squid Game. Back to the midweeks with Kah taking over is a good recipe.
(2) Along The River has looked good at the jump outs and usually races best fresh. Gets a good 2kg claim and is well up this grade on best form.
Sandown Race 7
(12) French Emperor has joined the Price/Kent stable from David Payne since we last saw him and his recent jump out work down here in Victoria looks as sharp as he ever has. He is a horse who always runs well on the fresh side and I think he looks a cracking bet as he strikes a very winnable race first up.
(11) Free Flying Star is doing just that - he is flying at the moment. Willo rode him to perfection last start here on the heavy track for a comfortable win. The difference today is that he draws barrier 15 instead of barrier 1 so might need some luck.
(9) Just Johnno is on the two day back up following a 2nd at Warnambool on Monday. He is racing very well and have to trust the stable if he runs here again.
(15) Jupitus let down very well first up and was doing best work late there. Should improve off that run and is still very lightly raced. Looks a decent enough price for an up and coming Waller horse in Melbourne.
(12) French Emperor
$4.00 (1.5 units)