Royal Randwick takes centre stage once again in Sydney this Saturday on what promises to be another day for the mudlarks. Sydney has copped plenty of rain again this week so it will pay to keep an eye on how the track is playing as the day unfolds.
The track is currently rated a heavy 10 and there is more rain predicted for the morning of the races. I doubt we will see any upgrades across the day’s action. The rail position is as follows: +12m 1000m-W/Post, +10m Remainder.
As always, Billy Bestford has cast his eye across the program and brings you his free horse racing tips, including best bets and race previews.
Randwick Racing Tips: Saturday July 23rd
Have had a bit of luck with the Highways in recent weeks and I think (11) Running Bear can help continue that here. Has shown he loves racing here at Randwick and was very good last start behind a smart one. Reece Jones jumps on today and this horse should be able to lead from the low draw and that may be the best place to be considering track conditions. Hard fit and ready for this trip now.
(8) Lord Desanimaux is always competitive in these Highways and was good resuming over the shorter trip. He’s much better suited out to the mile now and should improve with added fitness. Expect Collett gets him in a nice trail position and can finish strongly.
(10) Brainzes is ready to win now 4th up and looks set to peak off the back of a big run last start. Got way out of his ground but charged when it was all over. Handles wet conditions and looks the value chance of the race.
(3) Zadig won a Highway here last start over 1500m, beating home Bootscooter who has since run well again in the Grafton Guineas. Been freshened for this and gets a nice claim for Schiller.
(11) Running Bear
$3.70 (1 unit)
Position in running and race fitness should take (5) Easy Single a long way here. A senior rider taking over is also a big tick as he probably should have won last start with a more positive ride. Expect Pike bounces him out to the lead and has shown he loves these wet tracks. He should be near enough to peak fitness now 4th up and is a super consistent horse. They will do well to run him down here.
(3) Enchanted Heart has been competitive in much tougher races than this and has a bit of class about her. Back onto a wet track will do her no harm but I just think she may need the run.
(2) Rocketing By has been trialling well for his return and he is a good horse on the fresh side. With that being said, I’m not sure about resuming here on a bottomless track against some race-fit horses?
(8) Centro Storico rises sharply in grade but gets in with just 50kg on his back. He likes wet tracks and could sneak into the placings here.
(5) Easy Single
$2.80 (2.5 units)
Backing the two class horses here to try get a result.
No doubt there are a few question marks on (2) Mugatoo here who resumes from a long spell but he won this race fresh two years ago and is a classy animal. All Star Mile winner and if he can bring his best form, he will go very close. I’m backing the stable to have him ready for this and at $8+ he’s easier enough to have something on.
(1) Gold Trip is the big query runner here with the stable having Cox Plate and Melbourne Cup targets in mind in the Spring. His form back in France is top shelf but this might be a tad short for him? Has jumped out extremely well for a return and could just be levels above this lot. Again he is a backable enough price.
(12) Jojo Was A Man is flying on these Sydney wet tracks and won’t get a better chance than this to win at Stakes level. I think with just 53kg on his back and a good solid prep under his belt he is going to take some beating. He loves racing here at Randwick and is 1/1 at this track/trip.
(9) Oscar Zulu drops 4kg off the last start run and has been racing in great form this prep. Up to 1500m is a big tick for him, having won two of three starts over the trip.
(14) Snippy Fox handles wet ground and looks a decent value chance 3rd up.
Also Backing: (1) Gold Trip - $9.50 (0.5 unit)
$8.50 (0.5 unit)
(1) Conscript was dominant 2nd up and is clearly very comfortable on very wet ground. Expect he can find the front again here, adopting similar tactics to last start and will prove tough to run down. 3rd up last prep was one of his best performances to date and I think he is going even better this time in.
(3) Nerone comes north in search of wet tracks following two dominant wins from his last three runs down in Victoria. This is tougher but he is flying and will be the one who is charging over the top late.
(9) Jal Lei was luckless fresh and then came within a nose of winning 2nd up. He gets the services of Jmac today from a low draw and he might be able to land in a more positive position today. Looks ready to win one.
(10) Dalaalaat beat home Jal Lei last start and is always thereabouts in his races.
$3.00 (2 units)