The Inaugural ‘The Hunter’ meeting takes place at Newcastle this weekend and what a lineup we’ve got. I’m keen on a few chances late on in the day going around in some of the bigger races.
Find Blake Lalor’s expert tips for Newcastle below and make sure to head over to our Racing Tips page for more best bets from around the country this Saturday!
Newcastle Racing Tips: Saturday, November 18th 2023
Race 6: The Beauford – 2300m (15:30 AEDT)
(3) Sky Lab closed off well last start and was held up crossing the line. Steps up to 2300m here and should get a soft run back in the field from barrier 6. Expect him to be finishing strongly.
(9) Canberra Legend is well found here having run poorly 1st up from overseas. He should improve 2nd up but it’s a guessing game whether he improves enough to win this.
(2) Stockman the old boy is finding his feet now 5 runs into his prep. He wasn’t far away at all last time and has Nash Rawiller on here to have a red hot crack at his first win in over a year.
(5) Sky Lab - E/W
$5.50/$2.15 (1 Unit)
Race 8: The Hunter – 1300m (16:45 AEDT)
(1) Mazu may need wet ground to truly hit his straps in this event but he’s been racing well in significantly harder races lately. Recent trial suggests he’s on song and ready to let rip with even luck.
(11) Far Too Easy is perfectly drawn in this after motoring home for 3rd in the Kosciuszko fresh. He’s the main danger and should be ready to go 2nd up now.
(3) King Of Sparta will be up in the firing line here over 1300m I suspect. If he finds a spot close to the speed he should be able to put himself in the finish.
(1) Mazu - E/W
$4.65/$1.92 (1 Unit)
Race 9: Bm78 – 1600m (17:20 AEDT)
(8) Sweet Mercy was an enormous run in the Four Pillars last start to get up. She comes to this race in winning form now and is drawn perfectly to receive all the favours in the run. Hard to see her not at least finishing in the money here.
(11) Tavi Time had an enormous prep last time and kicked this one off with a poor 7th placing as favourite. He’s favourite here again so needs to be respected and should bounce back if he’s got anything from last prep left in his legs.
(2) Promitto is down in class and gets barrier 1. One to keep an eye on here at big odds as he was a horse I was interested in as a 3yo to win some black type at some stage.
(8) Sweet Mercy - E/W
$4.65/$1.92 (1 Unit)