Racing in Melbourne heads to Moonee Valley this Saturday for their first meeting in a few months. Some big fields across nine races means there should be plenty of opportunities to find a winner!
The track is currently rated a soft 6 and has copped a bit of rain this week. The forecast has improved though and we could see an upgrade come race day.
As always, Billy Bestford has cast his eye across the program and brings you his free horse racing tips, including best bets and race previews.
Moonee Valley Racing Tips: Saturday July 30th
Best Bet: Race 3 - (4) Written Swoosh
Best Value: Race 2 - (5) Epic Centre
Going to throw one out here at an each way price who looks to have come back in top shape. (5) Epic Centre has been trialling the house down leading into this prep and he was tested in some hot 2yo races last time we saw him. Think he’s matured and should have enough pace to settle front half and give a strong kick. Think he can run a drum in an open race.
(4) Shalaman resumed with an impressive win when wide but still too strong. Looks another horse who has come back in good order and he can continue to progress here.
No doubt (1) Alpha One is exciting and has shown good speed to lead at last two and win. Still very green but could just be too good for these.
(7) Keysborough is regally bred with bloodlines connected to Black Caviar. If he’s got an ounce of her ability he might give this a good shake.
(5) Epic Centre
$12/$3.20 (0.5/1.5 units)
(4) Written Swoosh looks an exciting horse for the Stokes yard and showed a good turn of foot at only run last prep when unlucky in the straight. Was quickly spelled after that effort and she arguably could’ve been the best of the 2yos last season? Won a jumpout impressively leading into this and I think she can stamp himself as an A grade filly here.
(1) Bistro was beaten home by Written Swoosh when they met last prep but she has the benefit of race experience now and knows how to find the line. She’ll more than likely lead and could prove tough to run down.
(8) Bie’res had jumped out really well leading into debut and I tipped her that day. She overraced and never looked likely but I think she can improve sharply with that experience.
(3) Va Via has been competitive in some strong races and can sprint well fresh.
(4) Written Swoosh
$2.80 (3 units)
(4) Rudhyar looks one of the more progressive types here and I like the fact Kah sticks off the back of the last start win. Looks as if this horse will eat up the extra 100m and draws to get a nice trail into it. He can go on with it now.
(6) Mimi’s Award looks very well placed here and is due a win. No real luck last start and back to 2500m suits. Gets in very well after the claim.
(8) Hereforagoodtime is flying but I think a drying track might be against this time. Form around her is good though.
(12) Ferago is another who is running very well and the Horrifying form looks good for this. Honest as they come and no doubt he will be in the finish again.
$4.00 (1 unit)
(14) Chief Altony back up to 1600m looks a big positive and gets in with no weight after the claim. Super consistent and he was hardly disgraced in the Winter Stakes in Sydney. Every run at the mile has been impressive and he maps for a gun run with a nice bit of cover.
(12) Tavidance looks primed to win now 3rd up and out to the mile. Was very strong through the line last start and gets Jamie Kah services now.
(13) Lackeen is another who’s been looking for this trip. With two solid runs under the belt now he looks ready. A dry track is a big tick for him.
(5) Smokin Romans will be better out in trip but is as consistent as they come. In the right stable to produce a big fresh performance.
(14) Chief Altony
$2.75 (2 units)