Racing this Saturday in Melbourne continues at Flemington where there are nine races on the card. There looks to be a few wide open races and plenty of promising horses on show which should make for a cracking day of racing.
The track is currently rated a soft 6 with the rail in the true position the entire circuit. The weather has finally cleared in Melbourne this week and with the promise of sunshine in the lead up to race day we may see an upgrade or two.
As always, Billy Bestford has cast his eye across the program and brings you his free horse racing tips, including best bets and race previews.
Best Bet: Race 5 - (4) Rock Up
Best Value: Race 1 - (6) Miss Gobcain
Flemington Racing Tips: Saturday July 2nd
Keen to get stuck in early here with our best value play of the day. (6) Miss Gobcain was a super impressive first up winner and has an even better record 2nd up. Pair that with a recent jump out in between runs which was a brilliant piece of work, and I think this horse is right on track for a good effort here. Stable are going well and I think she is a strong each way bet.
I do like (7) Megamea as a horse and we have been on her this prep already. She has come back in terrific order and the last start effort was a huge run from way back in the pack. She beat some good horses there and looks ready to peak now 3rd up.
(3) Zousonic comes out of that same race and was just as good as Megamea. Both runs this time in have been strong pieces of work and she is also primed to run well.
(4) Il Affare looks a bit short in the market for mine resuming off a long break for Waller. Only saw her once last prep since arriving in Aus which was a good effort into 3rd. No doubt she could be too good fot these but I’m against her with a few others having a race fitness edge.
(6) Miss Gobcain
$10/$2.80 (0.5/1.5 units)
Back on to dry ground looks a big tick for (4) Wrote To Arataki who just got too far back in a race that suited those on speed last start. The fresh win was eye catching and she has always shown a bit of ability. I’m hoping barrier 1 can see them a touch closer and a big Flemington track should see her with her chance in the straight.
(1 Bella Rouge comes back down to Melbourne following an impressive win up in Sydney a couple of weeks ago. She is airborne this prep and was a winner this track/trip two back. Getting up in the weights now but can’t knock the form.
(2) My Yankee Girl beat a good field last start at Sandown over 1300m. That was dominant and the market really trended towards her there late. She is rock hard fit and expect getting back to the Flemington 1400m looks ideal now. Maps for a nice run.
(3) Brookline has won well from the front in her last two making all her own luck. I’ve got her mapping to do similar again here but this is her toughest test to date.
(8) Liberated Girl another winning chance in an open race.
(4) Wrote To Arataki
$4.60 (1 unit)
Been keen to follow (4) Rock Up all prep since arriving from NZ and he has been very good in each run to date. Looking forward to seeing him stretch out to this sort of trip now with his runs this prep looking as if he will eat up this extra ground. Was very good last start when 1400-2000m in a strong race here and should have finished closer. Not getting a big price for him today but he is ready to win now.
(6) Whirly Jig notched a well deserved win last start over 2400m and had been racing in super consistent form leading up to that. You know that he will run out this trip and should see every favour in the box seat.
(3) Phere The Ex was tested in the SA Derby two back when solid enough. Narrowly went down last start to Whirly Jig on heavy ground but gets a weight swing in favour and drying track will suit. Beat home Texas Tea in that Derby - who beat Rock Up last start.
(8) Bishop is lightly raced and looks to have some upside as a stayer.
(4) Rock Up
$2.40 (3 units)
(3) Cardinal Gem is on the quick backup from last week when he covered a stack of ground but was still far too strong for them. Has been flying this prep and that was a well deserved win. Out to the mile looks ideal and his only other run at this trip was a good 2nd in a Sandown Guineas. Clearly he is in top order with the stable backing him up and expect he probably gets a better run here from a nice gate and class will shine through when they turn for home.
(5) Literary Magnate is another horse who is airborne at the moment and hasn’t run a bad race this prep. Beat home Cardinal Gem here two back and carried big weight at latest to just miss on a heavy track. Gets weight relief here and is right in this.
(1) Jimmy The Bear has beaten most of these in his last two wins but now gets right up in the weights. With that being said he’s a real honest horse and knows how to find the line. 1600?
(2) Blazero looks ready to win now 4th up off the back of a good run last time out. Has two runner up finishes over this trip and can map in front of many of his key rivals here.
(4) Arran Bay hasn’t had much luck this prep and on best form is right up to these. Arguably should have beaten a couple of them already.
(9) Idon’tgetit is the blowout.
(3) Cardinal Gem
$2.80 (2 units)