Racing in Melbourne takes place at Flemington this Saturday with nine strong races on the card. There looks to be some cracking races across the day with some exciting horses going head to head later in the afternoon.
The track is currently rated a soft 5 with the rail out 10m the entire circuit.
As always, Billy Bestford has cast his eye across the program and brings you his free horse racing tips, including best bets and race previews.
Flemington Racing Tips: Saturday August 6th
Going to have something on (2) Night Passage who resumes today off the back of some neat work at the jumpouts. Went to another level towards the end of last prep and I think he can continue on that upward trend here today. He is a gun 1400m horse and should be able to see a nice position throughout with Damian Lane on board. At the current price I’m happy to take the risk he is ready to fire fresh.
(3) Quintello will be hardest to beat. He was a complete forgive run last start when trapped wide but form prior to that was very strong. He’s had a little freshen up which will suit him and on best form he is probably the horse with the most upside in this race.
(6) Defiant Diva won well 2nd up and looks to peak now with those two runs under the belt. Out to 1400m looks ideal and she gets in well at the weights.
(10) Star Of Eden is a good fresh horse and while he will no doubt be better as he gets out in trip, has been a winner over 1400m before. Can lead here and give them something to catch.
(2) Night Passage
$8.00 (0.5 unit)
(13) Veranskova was an eye catcher fresh when powering home down the outside fence here to just miss Squid Game in a photo finish. Sure to better for that run and she was the one you had to follow out of that meeting a few weeks ago. Trials leading into this prep had been good and I think she is flying.
(6) Field Of Roses rises in grade for this but was an impressive win fresh when heavily supported in the market. She didn’t have it all go her own way there either so it was a tough win. Back to 1100m the slight query but I think she has come back in great shape.
(4) Big Apple swamped a good field at Caulfield last start to win at a big price. Think there was plenty to like about that win and this looks no tougher.
(1) Sixbysixtythree draws wide and is never usually a bad thing up the Flemington straight. He’s got a bit of talent about him and has now won four from seven. Third up now he is ready to go.
$3.70 (2.5 units)
Pretty keen on (2) Blue Cup here who looks ready now 3rd up in Australia. Was with him last start off the back of a good fresh effort but he had no luck at all and did well to finish as close as he did. From a good draw and Kah on look big ticks while I think the stable will have him cherry ripe. Doubt we have seen the best of him and will kick myself if we don’t stick strong again.
Could be completely off the mark here but (4) Mahashakti is a huge price for mine. Bit of second up syndrome last time out I think and his form last prep would hold him in good stead for this. 3rd up record is good and up to 2000m looks the key. If he can find some of his better form then he can run a bottler.
Not sure how (15) The Awesome Son didn’t win last start when charging home at Sandown to miss in the tightest of finishes. Up to 2000m looks ideal and but a bit of a query on the inside draw for a horse of his racing pattern.
(3) Maximus Prime was very good last start over this trip and that was his first go at the 2000m. Will be all the better for that run and the stable are airborne at the moment.
(10) Coolth owes me a fortune but this would probably be the kind of race he pops up and wins.
(2) Blue Cup
$4.40 (2 units)
Out the mile looks the key to (4) He’s Our Bonneval who has been very good at both runs since arriving in Aus. He’s missed the trifecta just once from nine runs over this trip and looks set to peak 3rd up. From barrier 12 he can get back with some cover and follow something into the race while the big Flemington straight should see him with plenty of room to wind up.
There was a lot of merit to (6) Here To Shock’s win at Caulfield when coming up the inside fence where no other horse had done all day. He’s a winner over the mile and Oli taking over looks a big positive.
(3) Born A King can run well off the back of a little freshen up. His form through last prep was very good and seemed to like racing here at Flemington.
(5) Lyrical Lad is another horse who is flying and is super honest. Back to this trip suits his chances.
(4) He's Our Bonneval
$6.00 (1 unit)
Looking forward to seeing (10) Fire off the back of his super impressive first up win when running slick time. He is a horse on the up and I think we may see the best of him this prep. That win last start was arrogant and he was eased down over the final 100m. Puts himself on speed, cruises into the race and deserves his crack at Saturday company. Hoping he can stamp himself as an up and coming sprinter here.
(7) Squid Game races upside down last start but was still too tough winning in a tight finish. Expect he can probably sit further back today and he has proven to enjoy racing up the straight.
(9) Chain Of Lightning is another exciting horse who has now won 3/3. Will position up near the lead and can give them something to run down.
(4) Zipping Boy looks the blowout having run 2nd both times this prep. Should have won first up in a race similar to this. Back up to 1100m suits.
$2.45 (4 units)