Racing in Queensland this Saturday heads to Eagle Farm for one of the best cards of racing you will see all year. The meeting is highlighted by three Group 1’s with the running of the Doomben Cup, Kingsford-Smith Cup and QLD Derby.
The track is currently rated a soft 6 but there is a bit of rain forecast before race day. With that in mind Eagle Farm drains well and I think we will probably end up racing on something close to a soft 5/6 with improvement throughout the day.
Billy Bestford has cast his eye across the meeting to bring you his best free horse racing tips and race previews to help you back some winners on a great day of racing.
Eagle Farm Racing Tips: Saturday May 28th
Race 1 - The Roses
Keen to get stuck right early here and think (1) Barb Raider is going to love getting to 2100m now and we now she is a top line staying filly. Comes into this off a string of good runs with the latest a very close 2nd in the Australasian Oaks. With regular rider Craig Williams in the saddle she will see every chance up on speed from a low draw. At set weights she looks well in and is proven at this level. Her formlines are stronger than anything else in this race.
I think (9) Smirk looks a realistic danger and you have to expect Chris Waller has her perfectly set up for a race like this. Onto dry ground is a big tick for her off the back of a good 3rd in The Bracelet at the Gold Coast.
(11) Chandon Burj rises sharply in grade for this but has won her last two in rally good fashion.
(3) Gin Martini ran a huge race in the ATC Oaks two back when finishing 3rd and I think she’s another who will improve getting back on top of the ground.
Happy to put the class horse in the race on top and think she gives a great sight with a nice gate and takes luck out of the equation in a big field.
Betting Strategy: 1.5u WIN Barb Raider
Race 3 - Lord Mayor's Cup
Looking forward to seeing (2) Hungry Heart finally get onto drier ground after struggling through the Sydney mud this prep. She’s got a class edge on most of these and it will just be a matter of if she can turn some form around. 4th up she is ready to peak and has a great record with a win and a third from three 4th up runs. Barrier 2 might be the only query but Pikey is one of the best in the business at finding a way through and if the gaps come I just think she is going to be too strong. Her best form wins this race easily.
(5) Ballistic Boy looks the value for mine and you can put a line through the fresh run where he just doesn’t get through the wet. Much better 2nd up horse and fitter now I expect he runs well. Likes racing here.
(7) Bigboyroy raced upside down last start when having to make ground from the back of the field. He can control this race from up on the speed today and expect he shows improvement.
(4) Zayydani drops out of G2 company for a much easier race here. 4th up now and onto drier ground are all positives for her. She’s a winner over this track/trip.
Betting Strategy: 1u WIN Hungry Heart, 0.25u WIN Ballistic Boy
Value: (5) Ballistic Boy - $15
Race 5 - Doomben Cup
The first group 1 of the day sees (1) Zaaki go in search of another group 1 in this Doomben Cup. Bolted in by 7 lengths this race last year and I just can’t see anything in this race getting near him at his best. He’s bulletproof and can absorb pressure, win off slow speed, win off hot speed and you just can’t knock him. He’s short enough at the price but he just wins.
Honestly think (7) Maximal is a huge chance of filling a placing here. He’s tackled WFA company last prep and if we get onto a good track here will be in with a chance. On best form he is one of the better credentialed runners.
Third up (6) Huetor can run well and looks ready to peak off the back of two strong efforts this prep. Looks ready for 2100m now and in the small field I think he’ll get his chance from barrier 2.
(9) Polly Grey is a proper swimmer and got within a length of Zaaki last start in the Hollindale. Can’t see her getting within a few lengths back on top of the ground however and I think she will drift from the current $8.
Expect (1) Zaaki wins but if your having a bet I don’t mind (7) Maximal to run a place.
Betting Strategy: 1u Maximal Place
Race 8 - The Queensland Derby
The Queensland Derby sees the 3yos go head to head for group 1 glory and I’m keen on the kiwi (2) Dark Destroyer. He was super tough last start over 2100m when hitting the lead a long way from home. Fended them off for a super win and looks ready to step out to this trip now. Can box seat from barrier 1 and he is a very promising stayer.
(3) Caboche is ready to win one after back to back 2nds. Has been a winner at Eagle Farm before and Jmac taking over the ride is a huge plus. He handles all surfaces but a good track here will suit him.
(12) Paternal was only edged out by Dark Destroyer last start and was one of the few in the race to make up any ground. Is clearly going well and will be charging late again.
(11) Satirical Glory looks a big price and getting a dry track is the key for him. He won here two back on a good track and expect he will be a big improver today.
Betting Strategy: 2u WIN Dark Destroyer
Race 9 - Kingford-Smith Cup
This Kingsford-Smith Cup is one of the best races we have seen this year and it is wide open! It wouldn’t shock me to see half of these win this.
(13) Paulele goes on top for me just ahead of Entriviere purely based on the barriers and what sort of luck in running I think they will have. Paulele was very good in the Doomben 10,000 when just missing Mazu who is a serious sprinter. All the better for that run and now out to 1300m I think he sees every chance to win. Jmac sticks for the ride and looks to be peaking at the right time.
As mentioned (12) Entriviere would probably go on top for me if she had drawn a gate. It’s going to be a tough ask from well back in the field yet again but it was hard to miss her flashing light run in the 10,000. That was enormous effort fresh and she is clearly airborne.
If the track gets into the good range I think (9) Signore Fox has to come into calculations. Huge effort in that 10,000 on heavy ground which he usually has hated. Great record 4th up and don’t mind barrier 11 where he can track something into the race and explode late.
(14) Isotope and (16) Brooklyn Hustle would be the next two I’d be throwing into the numbers.
Betting Strategy: 1u WIN Paulele, 0.5u EW Signore Fox
Value: (6) Signore Fox - $26/$7.50