Welcome to our horse racing preview and betting tips for night racing at Cranbourne on Friday, May 17th.
There's eight races on the card, with the track currently rated a Soft 5 and the railin the true position.
Check out our preview and betting tips for every race below.
Best Bet: Race 4 - (1) Exclaim
Lay Of The Day: Race 2 - (7) Lesage
These races for the juveniles can often be tricky affairs with so many unknowns, I am a quietly confident about one here though. (5) Navarre has been to the races twice; he had every chance at the Bool on debut then went there again over the carnival and wasn’t beaten far. He tried to lead all the way that day, from the wide draw he will be carving over again no doubt and this looks a suitable assignment. Obviously, there are plenty of unknowns and any serious backing for one of these should be respected.
(12) Stormy Elect has only been to the races once in her career so stepping up to this trip at her second start is a little question mark. She debuted at Ballarat over 1500m, got well back in the field before peeling wider at the turn. She was held-up from the top of the straight until the furlong pole, made some ground late and looks to be creaming out for this trip. She was beaten a long way that day and was not wanted in the betting, she looks a good each-way bet in a race where most of these have had enough chances.
(1) Exclaim has been a little costly for punters, he has been beaten as favourite at two of his four career starts and was well backed at the other two. The Stable obviously have an opinion of him and he won’t get a better chance than this to get his first win. He was first-up last time at Pakenham when he did plenty wrong, he was slowly away, over-raced, was caught wide and hung around the turn before sticking on well. He was entitled to drop off after the run he had, no doubt the big punters will be backing up again to get on him.
(1) Spirit Of Aquada has been racing well this time in, a win fresh followed by a couple of seconds when beaten by the shortest possible margin at each of them. He was a little ordinary on face value last time in a much harder race at Flemington, he should be right back to his peak here in this grade. (7) Zaidin looks to be the obvious danger and probably the only chance to beat the fave, but he will likely be giving the top pick a start and can’t see him running over the top.
The previous race was the first leg of the Quaddie, hopefully you go one out there as we need to get a lot in this race. It looks very tough on paper and there is up to ten chances in my opinion. (8) La Volt is one that interests me, he was beaten as favourite here last time a fortnight ago and did appear to have every chance. The tempo of the race may not have suited him that night, coming here third-up he should be fully fit getting out to the mile. He gets the blinkers on for the first time tonight, he was very good fresh after not having much luck in a race that has proved a good form reference.
(6) Buffalo Bill is having his sixth start at prep number one which is a little concerning, but has been given a three-week fresh-up in what may be his last run before going to the paddock. He was well beaten in a similar race last time, that Bendigo 64 has produced two subsequent winners since so the form line is good. He was wide on the speed that day, he should get a nice economical run drawn the rails. The jock will have options early if he jumps away with them, he can lead or take a sit. This is only his second go out of maiden grade, he looks like he can handle the class rise and is a great place bet.
(2) Mr Tipla looks a good chance to get us out ahead in the last, he is a great fresh horse winning 2/3 when resuming previously. He has only had the two runs in Australia since coming across the ditch, he won at Stawell convincingly at this grade fresh last prep and then was only fair at Caulfield in a harder race. He did feature a couple of times in the stewards report so am willing to forgive him that run. He has trialed nicely here at the track late last month, pushed out a little but a victory all the same. Drawn well, he should be mid-field in the run and hitting the line hard.
Luke Krahe is back with his best bets for racing at Pakenham, Albury and Bathurst this Monday, June 17th. Check out his five selections here! read more
Sha Tin hosts a huge 11-race card on Sunday, June 16th, and we've picked out our four best bets on the card here! read more
AFL Round 13 will come to an end on Sunday when North Melbourne host Greater Western Sydney at Blundstone Arena. We preview the match and provide our best bet here! read more
There are approximately 90 Group 1 level harness races in Australia and New Zealand each year; we've highlighted some of most high profile races on the annual racing calendar here. read more
Harness racing form can be daunting to punters that are new to the sport and form analysis for the trots is certainly different to that of the gallops or greyhounds. We've listed what we think the most important factors to consider are when studying the form for a trots race. read more
Barrier draws are crucial in racing and they are especially important in harness racing. We've explained why barriers are such a key part of harness racing form study and their importance to determining a horse's chances here. read more
There are many common terms used in harness racing that may not make sense to those new to the sport. Our harness racing glossary will help you understand what some of the key terminology means. read more
Only the six games in the AFL again this weekend due to the byes but still plenty of value on offer! We have a complete odds list of all six games courtesy of Sportsbet here read more
The first bye round of the 2019 AFL season is in the books and we are back to review all six games of Round 12 and take you through who we think deserved to poll the all important Brownlow votes here. read more
It's the first of the bye rounds as Round 12 of the 2019 AFL season kicks off with Richmond and Geelong on Friday night in arguably the match of the round. Here's the full Round 12 odds and betting lines thanks to Bet365. read more
It's getting tight at the top in our rolling 2019 Brownlow Medal Leaderboard with a couple of new faces emerging as contenders. Check out our Round 11 Brownlow votes predictions here! read more