Welcome to our horse racing preview and betting tips for night racing at Cranbourne on Friday, May 17th.
There's eight races on the card, with the track currently rated a Soft 5 and the railin the true position.
Check out our preview and betting tips for every race below.
Best Bet: Race 4 - (1) Exclaim
Lay Of The Day: Race 2 - (7) Lesage
These races for the juveniles can often be tricky affairs with so many unknowns, I am a quietly confident about one here though. (5) Navarre has been to the races twice; he had every chance at the Bool on debut then went there again over the carnival and wasn’t beaten far. He tried to lead all the way that day, from the wide draw he will be carving over again no doubt and this looks a suitable assignment. Obviously, there are plenty of unknowns and any serious backing for one of these should be respected.
(12) Stormy Elect has only been to the races once in her career so stepping up to this trip at her second start is a little question mark. She debuted at Ballarat over 1500m, got well back in the field before peeling wider at the turn. She was held-up from the top of the straight until the furlong pole, made some ground late and looks to be creaming out for this trip. She was beaten a long way that day and was not wanted in the betting, she looks a good each-way bet in a race where most of these have had enough chances.
(1) Exclaim has been a little costly for punters, he has been beaten as favourite at two of his four career starts and was well backed at the other two. The Stable obviously have an opinion of him and he won’t get a better chance than this to get his first win. He was first-up last time at Pakenham when he did plenty wrong, he was slowly away, over-raced, was caught wide and hung around the turn before sticking on well. He was entitled to drop off after the run he had, no doubt the big punters will be backing up again to get on him.
(1) Spirit Of Aquada has been racing well this time in, a win fresh followed by a couple of seconds when beaten by the shortest possible margin at each of them. He was a little ordinary on face value last time in a much harder race at Flemington, he should be right back to his peak here in this grade. (7) Zaidin looks to be the obvious danger and probably the only chance to beat the fave, but he will likely be giving the top pick a start and can’t see him running over the top.
The previous race was the first leg of the Quaddie, hopefully you go one out there as we need to get a lot in this race. It looks very tough on paper and there is up to ten chances in my opinion. (8) La Volt is one that interests me, he was beaten as favourite here last time a fortnight ago and did appear to have every chance. The tempo of the race may not have suited him that night, coming here third-up he should be fully fit getting out to the mile. He gets the blinkers on for the first time tonight, he was very good fresh after not having much luck in a race that has proved a good form reference.
(6) Buffalo Bill is having his sixth start at prep number one which is a little concerning, but has been given a three-week fresh-up in what may be his last run before going to the paddock. He was well beaten in a similar race last time, that Bendigo 64 has produced two subsequent winners since so the form line is good. He was wide on the speed that day, he should get a nice economical run drawn the rails. The jock will have options early if he jumps away with them, he can lead or take a sit. This is only his second go out of maiden grade, he looks like he can handle the class rise and is a great place bet.
(2) Mr Tipla looks a good chance to get us out ahead in the last, he is a great fresh horse winning 2/3 when resuming previously. He has only had the two runs in Australia since coming across the ditch, he won at Stawell convincingly at this grade fresh last prep and then was only fair at Caulfield in a harder race. He did feature a couple of times in the stewards report so am willing to forgive him that run. He has trialed nicely here at the track late last month, pushed out a little but a victory all the same. Drawn well, he should be mid-field in the run and hitting the line hard.
It's Flemington Finals day at headquarters in Melbourne this Saturday, July 4th, with a number of big fields and wide open betting markets. Trent Crebbin is looking to continue his good form with his preview and betting tips here! read more
Big weekend of EPL action coming up! The games kick off at 9.30pm on Saturday night and continues until Tuesday morning! We have a full preview and betting tips for the key games across Matchday 33 in the EPL here. read more
The team at Palmerbet are back with their best bets for Belmont this Saturday, using the Price Push and Race Rescue products available for all Palmerbet customers in The Bookie Bag! read more
Julian Vallance from Sportsbet takes us through some of the key factors which he uses with pricing upcoming horse races such as performance ratings. Check out his video from Sportsbet here. read more
Over-Round is an important concept for both punters and sportsbooks. It's how Australian sportsbooks make money! All punters should understand over-round, how to spot it, and how to find better value on the Betfair Exchange. read more
Ever wondered why you can get such great odds at Betfair in comparison to other online bookmakers? We break down why that is the case and why Betfair isn't just for professional punters here read more
Lay betting is when you’re betting against an event to occur. You’re betting that a horse won’t win a race, a team won’t win a match or your player will lose to their opponent. Find out more about lay betting at Betfair right here. read more
With Victoria recently suffering another surge in COVID-19 cases, the AFL has had to restructure the next few rounds of the season. They have officially released the fixture for both Rounds 6 & 7, which can be viewed in full right here read more
A full round of nine matches are in the books for Round 4 of what has been a crazy 2020 AFL season. Here's our break down of each match and our Round 4 Brownlow vote predictions, as well as a couple of Brownlow betting tips. read more
The Saints beat the Tigers in the upset of the round and after a shuffle of the schedule due to COVID-19 restrictions, they will be back in action in the opening game of Round 5 on Thursday night against the Blues! See the odds for all of the games in Round 5 HERE read more
We saw some standout performances for Round 3 of the 2020 AFL season with a couple of our early Brownlow betting plays rising to the top of the early Brownlow Medal leaderboard. Check out our AFL Round 3 Brownlow vote predictions here. read more