Ballarat will host midweek racing Victoria on a track that is all but guaranteed to be a Good 4 after three hot days in a row in the region. Race 1 starts at 3:05pm (AEDT), while the last of eight concludes a touch after 7pm.
Find Brendan Bunworth’s best bets for Ballarat below and be sure to head over to our Racing Tips page for more free tips from around the country this Wednesday and beyond!
Ballarat Racing Tips: Wednesday, February 14th 2024
Race 2: The Courier Maiden Plate - 3:40pm (AEDT)
(7) Grouse Mountain has had a little break since running a good 2nd (beaten a head) at Seymour last start. On that occasion she settled last before winding up late. The same tactics are likely here and from barrier 2, Shinn may just jog out of the barriers to maintain the rails. With that there is an issue of needing some luck but I think that’s why the Maher stable has opted for a more experienced jockey this time, without taking anything away from Nugent who rode him for the 2nd. She says at the 1000m and she should be more educated after the solid debut effort.
(9) Trezzamina was backed to win but ran a shocker on debut at Moe (5th) after leading for the majority of the race. She folded up late and was sent straight to the paddock to mature. She has come back well running a 2nd in a recent Cranbourne trial and a more mature horses is expected on resumption.
(8) Pure Rain is from the Snowden yard and has been backed to win on a couple of occasions. She was better last start when 3rd at Mornington and the stable will be expecting another top 3 finish in this one.
(7) Grouse Mountain
$2.30 (3 Units)
Race 4: Vedlia 3YO Fillies Maiden Plate - 4:450pm (AEDT)
(9) Skelmorlie has a wide barrier to contend with in 12 but showed promise when 2nd with McDougall on board at Wangaratta last start. McDougall sticks with her here and the extra 100m looks as though it will suit after she ran on well last start. She has won a Trial before (Tatura) and will luck in running will be running on well again you would think.
(10) Tamahine is a first starter who has been well educated from the leading Maher stable. He has run 3rd in his last couple of trials and there were some handy horses in those so he should go through the grades nicely.
(2) Chica Con Suerte has drawn well (2) and though he will find this race harder than his Great Western 2nd, he has two 2nds to his name now and gets an experienced jockey in John Allen on board this time.
$7.50 (1 Unit)
Race 6: Hygain Winners Choice Handicap - 6pm (AEDT)
(5) Rhapsody Chic has drawn inside in barrier 1 and he resumes after a 6 month spell. He should be quite fit for this though after three recent hitouts at the trials. Lane is on which is a bonus and I expect him to settle the gelding just behind the leaders in about 4th position. He was favourite when on debut at Cranbourne (3rd) and it depends on how much he has matured in the break. If the money comes late he is worth a good play. He hasn’t had much exposure to Dry tracks in the lead up to this race which is probably the only query.
(7) Girl won a Flemington jumpout last week and she is the danger. She has had two first up attempts though and hasn’t placed so I will wait until next time she runs. Shinn is on which is a positive and she has seen this track previously.
(10) Dunloe ws 3rd in a recent Cranbourne jumpout and he may want further than this. I reckon he will be running on late though with Stackhouse on top.
(5) Rhapsody Chic
$3.40 (2 Units)
The easiest way to place your Quaddie bet is to click on the BoomBet BetShare button below! This will add our Ballarat Quaddie selections straight into your BoomBet bet slip! You can then enter how much you wish to wager and with one click, your Quaddie has been placed!
Leg one: 2, 3, 9
Leg two: 5, 7, 10
Leg three: 1, 3, 6
Leg four: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7