It’s New Years Day and there’s a heap of good racing to get stuck into. There’s good meetings being held at Randwick and Flemington as we look to start of 2022 with a few winners.
Billy Bestford has done the form throughout the day and has narrowed down his best bets on what looks a huge day of racing around the country.
If you'd like even more detail, then head to our dedicated racing site Racing Bet, where we have analysis for every race from Randwick and Flemington, as well as odds comparison, video previews and betting strategies.
Horse Racing Tips: Saturday, January 1st
Randwick Race 6
(4) Kirwan’s Lane is on the quick backup following a strong win up the rail last Sunday. I’ve got him on top through the sheer fact he brings good winning form to a race like this and many of these generally don’t win out of turn. The stable don’t back them up like this too often so that’s a pretty good lead that the horse is going well.
Flemington Race 5
(2) Bermadez was only run down late by the progressive Lighthouse last start and he was 5 weeks between runs there. Will take plenty out of that performance and should enjoy getting out to 1600m again here. Form has stacked up behind his win two back and this race sets up well for him from the front.
Randwick Race 7
(4) Dragonstone was beaten by an in-form horse last start and beat third comfortably. That horse, Bacchanalia has come out won the Gosford Guineas since so the form has stacked right up. Gets right down to 53kg now and should be rock hard fit now third up from a spell. Keen to see him race on dry ground as well.
Flemington Race 7
(2) Smokin Romans just doesn’t know how to put in a poor one and just keeps finding when the pressure goes on. Was left infront a long way from home last start but kept kicking and should only be suited more getting out to 2800m here. Kah has a good record with this horse and you’d expect they go straight to the front from the inside draw and will be tough to catch again.
Randwick Race 8
(1) Toomuchtobear was extremely impressive first up off a break when storming down the outside to beat a handy field at Randwick two weeks ago. He looks a progressive type and will carry 57kg following the claim for Reece Jones. Looks ready to take the next step this prep.