Melbourne racing this Saturday heads to Caulfield for a strong nine race card. While it’s the off season for Victorian racing there are still plenty of good horses going around today and as always, plenty of winners to be found. The track is currently rated a soft 5 with nice conditions forecast for race day.
Billy Bestford has cast his eye across the meeting to bring you his best free horse racing tips and race previews to help you back some winners on a great day of racing.
Best Bet: Race 7 - (2) Grandslam
Caulfield Racing Tips: Saturday May 28th
Thought (3) Starry Legend looked very well suited back to 1000m where he has a great record. Was only run down late over 1100m and he has come in good form this prep since being gelded. From barrier 4 he can take up the running and expect he might be too speedy for these.
(4) Zorros Dream crossed the line with Sniper Legend last time out but just never does himself any favours with his racing pattern. He is in flying form though and is proven in better races than this.
(1 Dexelation has take on some hot races down in Adelaide this prep and has hardly been disgraced. 2.5L off Lombardo fresh looks a good enough form reference for a race like this.
(5) Ashford Street is flying and just needs to be sharp enough for 1000m. Will be right in the finish.
Betting Strategy: 1u WIN Starry Legend
(9) Naval Seal is an interesting runner and one I have followed all prep. Came to Victoria last start and proper bolted in by 5L. I think that may be the making of him and interested to see what he can do into a dry track. Think the stable has him trending in the right direction and think he can continue to progress through the grades.
Getting back to Caulfield will suit (1) Chartres who wasn’t disgraced The Coast at Gosford against older horses. Won the Vobis Guineas here two back carrying 58kg. Clearly good enough on best form.
(10) Oceana Blue was heavily backed first up over 1800m. Debut win was very good and yet to reach ceiling but back in trip here seems an unusual set up?
(4) General Firepower is flying and was only run over the top of late last start. Expect he can settle handy from barrier 2 and back to 1600m should suit him.
Betting Strategy: 1u WIN Naval Seal
(2) Grandslam looks the best on the card at Caulfield today. Worth forgiving last start when he pulled up lame at Warnambool and just doesn’t handle heavy ground. The win two back was dominant this track/trip and gets a good front-running jockey in the saddle today. Just looks to get a great setup here.
(7) Witchita Star is the definition of airborne, winning 4 of last 5 and continues to measure up wherever he races. Won that Warnambool Cup last start and once again looks right in this. Back to 2000m the only query.
(4) Bermadez is super honest and looked very good winning over 1700m last time out. This will be his first try out to 2000m but Oli has a great relationship with this horse and no doubt will be given every chance up near the speed.
(5) No Effort goes forward from an inside draw and is hard fit 4th up from a spell. Could be the one at odds who can give them something to catch.
Betting Strategy: 3u WIN Grandslam
Looking forward to the return of (14) D’aguilar who hasn’t been since since August last year. Won two very impressively last prep, defeating King Magnus when first up from a long break. Gets 1400m again here fresh and I think he’s got some X factor about him. He’s won four from six and as a 6yo he is extremely lightly raced. Think we could see him go to the next level now.
Forgive (15) Cambourne on the first up run when just not handling the heavy going. Went around a $3.50 chance there behind Tuvalu so have to respect that SP profile and is better than that run suggests. Can be the big improver 2nd up.
(3) Zoist is going well this prep and finished off strongly in a decent race in Adelaide last start. He will be getting back and can expect to see him charging late.
(2) First Acused makes the trip north after three impressive wins down in Tasmania. Deserves a crack in this sort of company and no doubt the stable will have him cherry-ripe off the back of a good fresh performance.
At time of writing both selections are emergencies so will need a couple of scratchings to make the field. If they are in then I'll be having something on both.
Betting Strategy: 1u WIN D'aguilar, 0.5u WIN Cambourne
Also Backing: (15) Cambourne - $7.50